Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A New One!

Greetings! It is a cold day in the South, but because I recently quit my job, and because I have been crocheting since I was little, what better way to support my habit - LOL! - than by showing some things I crochet (and sometimes knit) and try to get back the cost of the yarn plus a little bit extra. It's hard for me to pass up a yarn sale, and a major project I have now is to get the yarn organized and mostly into one room - and out of the kitchen, dining room, bathroom, bedroom!

So give me a little while and you'll be seeing the goodies I make. I set up my first blog little over a year ago. It's blindedbyinsight.blogspot.com. On it, besides mostly poems I've written (something else I've done since I was little), you'll see some of the things I've knitted, crocheted, and painted!

Daddy's mother taught me to crochet when I was probably in grammar school. Mother taught me to sew (including embroider, etc.) and she, her mother (a professional dressmaker), and I all have taken in sewing. I taught myself to knit when I was late 20s or early 30s. The first thing I knitted was a simple headband. The 2nd thing I knitted? ... a dress for myself!

After becoming legally blind at age 59, I was glad to figure out that I could still crochet, using at least worsted weight yarn and a larger hook - and even when my sight was pretty bad, I crocheted almost a whole afghan while on an Amtrak ride to and from California, doing some of it while going through tunnels in the Rocky Mountains!

4 comments:

  1. Came across your blog searching how to teach a friend (who is legally blind) how to crochet. I have dabble with it off & on over the years (self taught) & not an expert. He just turned 30 & has been hinting to my daughter that he would like to learn to crochet. I believe her hints to me is she wants me to teach him. I was wondering since you love to blog & love to crochet maybe you would consider blogging how someone could teach a legally bind person to crochet (I'm sure many would be grateful). Hook size, yarn type, tension, best approaches, etc. so it won't be to frustrating for him. If he likes it & becomes comfortable with his progress maybe he will want to continue. He has many other health issues (diabetic and on dialysis) and spends his days without much to do. This could be a blessing for him because he so wants something to do. I have a friend who is a great crocheter and knitter who I'm sure would give me some hints for taking this on, we have our eyes to see us through but would like to approach this through his eyes and touch. Your skills & insights with this matter could be so helpful.
    I'm thankful I came across your blog and have enjoyed reading through it. God Bless..
    Thank you,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherry, Send me another note (which I will not publish) and give me your phone number and tell me where you live (what time zone - I'm in Alabama). That way I can I can give you my email address, etc., and we can communicate better. You've got my wheels turning! I, too, have a friend who's diabetic and on dialysis. I'll be in and out today because the weather is finally in the 40s (heat wave!) so I may ride the bus to the store. I've got cabin fever! Look at my other blog: blindedbyinsight.blogspot.com ... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think that is pretty cool that you were able to make an afghan on your train trip. it takes me forever to get anything like that done and i don't have vision limitations. i have always wanted to learn to sew. i took a two classes in middle school but didn't do anything with what i learned. what would be the best way for me to learn to sew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ida! How did you find my blog? I am also on Facebook and I have another blog where I mostly post poems I've written. One of my grandmothers sewed her own dresses until she was 94. She and another lady had a little dress shop in Oneonta, Alabama. Mother also sewed most of my sister's and my clothes, so I learned some from her when I was little. My other grandmother taught me to crochet when I was about 6 or 7, and I taught myself to knit when I was late 20s. I have no idea of the best way to learn to sew except go to find a friend who sews or quilts, or even go to Joanne's or Hancock's and ask someone who works there, or ask another customer! Most people are glad to help you get started! Sometimes community centers have such free classes. I haven't sewed in years because of my eyesight, except to sew on an occasional button or fix a torn hem. Good luck, and let me know what happens!

    ReplyDelete